[Devel] Re: network namespace ipv6 perfs

Benjamin Thery benjamin.thery at bull.net
Mon Mar 3 09:27:50 PST 2008

Benjamin Thery wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 3:55 PM, Pavel Emelyanov <xemul at openvz.org> wrote:
>> Benjamin Thery wrote:
>>  > Daniel Lezcano wrote:
>>  >> Hi,
>>  >>
>>  >> Some performance tests was made by Benjamin to watch out the impact of
>>  >> the network namespace. The good news is there is no impact when used
>>  >> with or without namespaces. That has been checked using a real network
>>  >> device inside a network namespace.
>>  >>
>>  >> These results are consistent with the ones previously made for ipv4.
>>  >>
>>  >> http://lxc.sourceforge.net/network/bench_ipv6_graph.php
>>  >>
>>  >> Thanks to Benjamin who did all the performance tests :)
>>  >
>>  > In these results, may be, there is one thing that should be explained.
>>  > It is the CPU utilization overhead in the 'veth' case.
>>  >
>>  > Compared to physical devices or macvlan, veth interfaces don't benefit
>>  > from hardware offloading mechanisms: i.e. checksums have to be computed
>>  > by the soft. That explains the big overhead in CPU utilization when
>>
>>  You can tune the veth devices not to account checksum when unnecessary.
>
> Oh. This is interesting.
>
> You mean with ethtool -K rx/tx?
> I will give it a try.

Pavel,

I had no luck with "ethtool -K veth0 rx on tx on".
On my testbed, with these options TCP drops packets
(trying to establish a ssh connection between init and child namespace).

Then, I tested "ethtool -K veth0 rx on tx off".
This time TCP (and netperf) work, but I see no difference in
CPU load compared to the case without offloading.

Can I tune veth differently?

(BTW, I run netperf between a child namespace on host A and netserv
on host B. The stream goes through the following interface:
veth1 on A -> veth0 on A -> eth1 on A -> ("real network") -> eth1 on B)

Benjamin

>>  > using this kind of virtual interface.
>>  >
>>  > Benjamin
>>  >
>>  >> Regards
>>  >>     -- Daniel
>>  >>

>> --

B e n j a m i n   T h e r y  - BULL/DT/Open Software R&D

    http://www.bull.com