[Devel] OLS paper topics

Balbir Singh balbir at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Jan 30 01:59:22 PST 2008

Cedric Le Goater wrote:

>>> == Topic ==
>>>
>>> Namespaces, containers, cgroups, and container checkpoint/restart.
>>>
>>> == Description ==
>>>
>>> Development for namespaces and cgroups is well underway in the
>>> mainline kernel. To keep momentum going and keep the loosely
>>> knit teams of developers well-coordinated, a physical meeting in
>>> which to discuss future development plans is needed.
>>> Additionally, we are at a point where crucial decisions about
>>> the nature of a "container object" and about the checkpoint/restart
>>> design need to be made.
>>>
>>> A final set of topics will be decided upon through mailing lists
>>> ahead of time, but potential topics include:
>>> * Handling filesystem/namespace synchronization
>>> * Handling of /proc and /sysfs within containers
>>> * Additional needed namespaces (i.e. device namespace)
>>> * Nature of a 'container' — kernel object or userspace fiction
>>> * Additional cgroups and their design
>>> * How to initiate and synchronize checkpoint/restart
>>> * How to enter a 'container' ?
>>>

>> Resource Management for containers?
>
> Yes we need that. There are a few possible conflicts in requirements
> that need to be discussed. For example, a resource management req
> would be to be able to move a process from one group to another and C/R
> wouldn't.

Cedric,

Why is that a conflict w.r.t resource management, isn't that more of a cgroup
feature - task migration. We need task migration for resource management, but
task migration is a system administrator/management function. I don't see the
conflict, but may be I am missing something very obvious.

--
	Warm Regards,
	Balbir Singh