[Devel] OLS paper topics

Kir Kolyshkin kir at openvz.org
Wed Jan 30 00:50:59 PST 2008

Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> Quoting Kir Kolyshkin (kir at openvz.org):
>
>> Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
>>
>>> mini-summit:
>>> 	I will submit for a 1-day mini-summit.  Some interesting
>>> 	remaining topics for the mini-summit would include device
>>> 	namespaces, ttys and syslog, and lots of checkpoint/restart.
>>>

>> That's right, obviously the title of the mini-summit would be something
>> like "Linux Kernel Containers".
>>

> Attached is what I currently had for a proposal to send to the OLS
> committee.  (Please feel free to edit and add to the wiki)

Some people have made a few minor changes in the version at wiki. I
guess no more major changes will be done. Here it is:

== Topic ==

Namespaces, containers, cgroups, and container checkpoint/restart.

== Description ==

Development for namespaces and cgroups is well underway in the
mainline kernel. To keep momentum going and keep the loosely
knit teams of developers well-coordinated, a physical meeting in
which to discuss future development plans is needed.
Additionally, we are at a point where crucial decisions about
the nature of a "container object" and about the checkpoint/restart
design need to be made.

A final set of topics will be decided upon through mailing lists
ahead of time, but potential topics include:
* Handling filesystem/namespace synchronization
* Handling of /proc and /sysfs within containers
* Additional needed namespaces (i.e. device namespace)
* Nature of a 'container' — kernel object or userspace fiction
* Additional cgroups and their design
* How to initiate and synchronize checkpoint/restart
* How to enter a 'container' ?

== Moderators ==
{{Out|These are just suggestions, please edit here or let us know if you
do or do not want to moderate.}}

* Namespaces/containers: Serge Hallyn, Cedric Le Goater
* cgroups: Paul Menage
* Checkpoint/restart: Dave Hansen, Cedric Le Goater

== Expected Time Required ==

One day.

== Number of Attendees ==

Approximately 30.

== Technical Requirements ==

* Projector and screen
* Whiteboard
* Network access
* Power for laptops
* doughnuts and croissants for participants