Namespaces exhausted CLONE_XXX bits problem

Dave Hansen haveblue at us.ibm.com
Mon Jan 14 13:54:34 PST 2008

On Mon, 2008-01-14 at 16:36 -0500, Oren Laadan wrote:
> I second the concern of running out of 64 bits of flags. In fact, the
> problem with the flags is likely to be valid outside our context, and
> general to the linux kernel soon. Should we not discuss it there
> too ?

It would be pretty easy to make a new one expandable:

	sys_newclone(int len, unsigned long *flags_array)

Then you could give it a virtually unlimited number of "unsigned long"s
pointed to by "flags_array".

Plus, the old clone just becomes:

        sys_oldclone(unsigned long flags)
        {
        	do_newclone(1, &flags);
        }

We could validate the flags array address in sys_newclone(), then call
do_newclone().

-- Dave