[Accessibility] Update Statement Draft

Janina Sajka janina at a11y.org
Tue Jul 22 07:09:56 PDT 2008

I offer the following as a first draft for the update to our Statement
On Desktop Accessibility Development at:

We can discuss this on today's teleconference.

Functioning today as the Open A11y Workgroup in the Linux Foundation, We offer
this brief update to reaffirm the vision and commitment expressed in our
Statement On Desktop Accessibility Development.

We are pleased to note that we are moving forward toward making our expressed
commitment a daily reality for persons who require accessibility support in
their computing environments. In particular a generous grant from the Mozilla
Foundation enabled CodeThink to provide our Workgroup with an engineering
study that demonstrated the practicality of moving AT-SPI from Corba to Dbus.
Our agreement to move AT-SPI to Dbus will remove a major impediment to the
realization of our vision.  We are greatly pleased, therefore, that funding
from Nokia Corporation is enabling CodeThink to effect this transition, which
is expected to be ready for testing during 2009. Additional details can be
found on our Dbus Wiki at:

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.202.595.7777;	sip:janina at a11y.org

Chair, Open Accessibility	janina at a11y.org
Linux Foundation		http://a11y.org