[Accessibility-ia2] IAccessibleEditableText::cutText, copytext, and pasteText

Pete Brunet pete at a11ysoft.com
Tue Oct 12 14:50:40 PDT 2010

Hi Carolyn, It's for historical reasons, but I don't know the history.
I agree that it would have been more natural to cut/copy from a
selection and paste to the current selection or caret location if no
selection.

Based on the fact that the offsets are part of the API and no side
effects are documented then I'd have to assume any existing selections
are (in most cases) not affected by cut/copy or paste, but that does
raise some particular issues.

1) The selection would have to shrink if cut removed some of it.
2) The selection would grow if anything was pasted into the middle of a
selection.
3) What about a paste just before or just after an existing selection?
Would the selection be expected to grow?  In this case I'd choose to not
grow the selection.