[Accessibility-ia2] IA2_ROLE_NOTE (resend)

Gregory J. Rosmaita oedipus at hicom.net
Mon Nov 15 11:56:56 PST 2010

apologies for the inadvertant premature sending of my reply to
david's post on IA2_ROLE_NOTE -- the perils of using a forms
based web mail client to compose email, where each space or
enter has a 25 percent chance of being interpretted as a
"submit form" command

aloha, david!

actually, i'd argue that the problem is that the concept "note" is
insufficient for all use cases:

1. there needs to be a means to distinguish between explanatory notes
and referential notes, both of which are be "embedded note[s] which
[are] not visible until activated"

2. there needs to be a means to convey within semantically demarcated
quoted text, that a string of text added to contextualize the quote
is not part of the original quote, but disambiguation text:

<q>He [Robert E. Lee] was hamstrung by his [J.E.B. Stuart's] absence
efrom the battlefield for the first two days of fighting, depriving
him [Lee] of the up-to-date intelligence the calvary ordinarily
provided.</q>

3. "A section that provides complementary information" is what
aria-role="complementary" does, and its closest analogue in HTML5
is the ASIDE element

http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/sections.html#the-aside-element

which is also a container for content that enhances the main content
of the page, but which skipping does NOT compromise the integrity of
the main content, such as sidebars and the media-wiki default DIV
wrapper

what is there to satisfy 1, 2 or 3?  IA2_ROLE_NOTE can't be all there
is -- can it?

gregory.
CONSERVATIVE, n.  A statesman who is enamored of existing evils,
as distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them
with others.         -- Ambrose Bierce, _The Devil's Dictionary_
             Gregory J. Rosmaita, oedipus at hicom.net