[Accessibility-ia2] a11y support registry API

Michael Curran mick at kulgan.net
Fri Jul 30 23:34:01 PDT 2010

As noted by others in the past, this kind of thing has major
disadvantages if its not done correctly. I.e. some AT does not know yet,
or has not been updated yet, to use this registration thing.

I am interested though, does Gecko, and other Apps currently make use of the
IsWinEventHookInstalled
function in the Windows API?

Granted it can sometimes give false positives, but certainly if there
was no accessibility client on the system listening to a certain event
(say IA2_EVENT_TEXT_INSERTED) IsWinEventHookInstalled would return False.

More info on IsWinEventHookInstalled can be found at:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd318528%28VS.85%29.aspx

I would feel much more comfortable knowing that this existing mechanism
was well researched (and used if possible) before we further this
conversation.

Thanks
Mick