[Accessibility-ia2] Clarification of IAHyperllink

Pete Brunet brunet at us.ibm.com
Fri Jul 18 09:26:27 PDT 2008

Thanks Jamie, Upon further thought I don't think there is a problem with
the use case you described.  But please read my new paragraphs four and
five to see if you agree.  Thanks, Pete

 This interface represents a hyperlink associated with a single substring
  of text or single non-text object.  Non-text objects can have either a
  single link or a collection of links such as when the non-text object is

  an image map.

 Linked objects and anchors are implementation dependent. This interface
is derived
  from IAccessibleAction.  IAccessibleAction::nActions is one greater than
the
  maximum value for the indices used with the methods of this interface.

 Furthermore, the object that implements this interface has to be
connected
  implicitly or explicitly with an object that implements IAccessibleText.
  IAccessibleHyperlink::startIndex and IAccessibleHyperlink::endIndex are
  indices with respect to the text exposed by IAccessibleText.

 This interface provides access to a single object which can have multiple
actions.
  An example is an image map which is an image with multiple links each of
which is
  associated with separate non-overlapping area of the image.  This
interface could
  also be applied to other kinds of objects with multiple actions.

 An interesting use case to consider is an image map where each area of
the image
  has multiple actions such as "Activate URI", "Copy URI to favorites",
etc.  In
  this case there are more actions than image areas.  This should not be
an issue
  however.  The user still has comprehensible access to all the actions
associated
  with the image.  The actions can be differentiated from each other using
the per
  action name, description, and key binding.  For example two actions of
the set
  of actions could be "Activate Link - Texas Department of Transportation"
and

Pete Brunet

IBM Accessibility Architecture and Development
11501 Burnet Road, MS 9022E004, Austin, TX 78758
Voice: (512) 838-4594, Cell: (512) 689-4155
Ionosphere: WS4G

James Teh <jamie at jantrid.net>
Sent by: accessibility-ia2-bounces at lists.linux-foundation.org
07/17/2008 12:41 AM

IAccessible2 list <accessibility-ia2 at lists.linux-foundation.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [Accessibility-ia2] Clarification of IAHyperllink

Hi Pete,

This clarifies it somewhat. However, I think a better example of the
multi-multi-action case is an image map consisting of several links
which themselves have multiple actions. For example, each link might
have actions such as "follow", "copy to clipboard", etc. In this case,
the links must provide their own link objects which provide the multiple
actions for that link.

Btw, following this example, nActions() on such an image map would
return the number of links in that image map. However, trying to execute
an action with doAction() on one of those indices would be invalid,
because you actually need to get the link object for that link first
before you can examine its actions. This is yet another reason that
deriving IAccessibleHyperlink from IAccessibleAction is confusing.

Jamie

Pete Brunet wrote:

> Jamie, Recently you indicated that the documentation for
> IAccessibleHyperlink was not clear enough about the case of hyperlinks
> with more than one action. I added two paragraphs to the description of
> the interface. Please review this and let me know if this additional
> text adds the needed clarification. Thanks, Pete
>
> This interface represents a hyperlink associated with a single substring
> of text or single non-text object. Non-text objects can have either a
> single link or a collection of links such as when the non-text object is
> an image map.
>
> Linked objects and anchors are implementation dependent. This interface
> is derived
> from IAccessibleAction. IAccessibleAction::nActions is one greater than
the
> maximum value for the indices used with the methods of this interface.
>
> Furthermore, the object that implements this interface has to be
connected
> implicitly or explicitly with an object that implements IAccessibleText.
> IAccessibleHyperlink::startIndex and IAccessibleHyperlink::endIndex are
> indices with respect to the text exposed by IAccessibleText.
>
> This interface provides access to a single object with multiple actions,
> such
> as image maps which are images with multiple links each of which is
> associated
> with separate non-overlapping area of the image. This interface could
> also be
> applied to other kinds of objects with multiple actions.
>
> This interface does not directly support the case of an object with
> actionable
> references where the target objects in turn contain actionable
references.
> For example, consider the example of an application containing an image
> map with
> links to secondary image maps in the same application. If an AT
(Assistive
> Technology) user wanted to activate a link in the first image map
> followed by
> activating a link in the second image map, the AT would use
> IAccessibleHyperlink
> two successive times.
>
> *Pete Brunet*
>
> IBM Accessibility Architecture and Development
> 11501 Burnet Road, MS 9022E004, Austin, TX 78758
> Voice: (512) 838-4594, Cell: (512) 689-4155
> Ionosphere: WS4G

James Teh
Email: jamie at jantrid.net
WWW: http://www.jantrid.net/