[Accessibility-ia2] Agenda for the Open Accessibility IA2 meeting - July 08, 2008

James Teh jamie at jantrid.net
Mon Jul 7 19:19:13 PDT 2008

Hi Pete,

Mick and I would like to discuss a few additional items in the near future:

* Making constants appear in the IAccessible2 type library:
	* High level languages, such as Python, use the type library built from
the idl, rather than the .h files.
	* Constants defined freely in the idl are not included in the type library.
		* For example, this currently includes all of the IA2_STATE_* constants.
	* If these are defined as enums, they can then be included in the
library definition.
		* Unfortunately, the IA2_RELATION_* constants obviously can't be an
enum and there doesn't seem to be any other construct that can be used,
so they cannot be included into the tlb.
	* Mick has made the appropriate modifications to the idl.
* Proxy dll:
	* The IA2 registration in Firefox is not yet implemented. Even once
complete, it will be several months before the next release of Firefox.
	* We are implementing an in-process hook for NVDA which registers the
IA2 proxy for each process, thus allowing for portable Firefox and NVDA
in the meantime.
	* We should decide on the guidelines that should be followed regarding
this proxy dll.
	* We thought of the following:
		* Portable ATs such as NVDA should inject into other processes and
register the proxy.
		* Installed ATs should install and register the dll as a shared file
into %SystemRoot%\system32\IAccessible2Proxy.dll.
	* Should applications such as Firefox register the proxy in their own
process?
		* Perhaps not if the ATs are going to do it anyway.
		* This also means less copies of the dll floating around.
* Building the proxy dll:
	* Mick has managed to get the proxy dll building with the tools
included with the Microsoft Windows SDK using a Makefile.

We've started our own bzr repository for IA2 and made a branch for all
of the changes mentioned above. The branch is at:
http://bzr.nvaccess.org/ia2/nvda/

Jamie