[Linux-cluster] New virtual synchrony API for the kernel: was Re: [Openais] New API in openais

Lars Marowsky-Bree lmb at suse.de
Fri Sep 10 10:51:29 PDT 2004

On 2004-09-01T23:03:12,
   Steven Dake <sdake at mvista.com> said:

I've been pretty busy the last couple of days, so please bear with me
for my late reply.

A virtual synchrony group messaging component would certainly be
immensely helpful. As it pretty strongly ties to membership events (as
you very correctly point out), I do think we need to review the APIs
here.

Could you post some sample code and how / where you'd propose to merge
it in?

Also, again, I'm not sure this needs to be in the kernel. Do you have
upper bounds of the memory consumption? Would the speed really benefit
from being in the kernel?

OTOH, all other networking protocols such as TCP, SCTP or even IP/Sec
live in kernel space, so clearly there's prior evidence of this being a
reasonable idea.

Sincerely,
    Lars Marowsky-Brée <lmb at suse.de>

--
High Availability & Clustering	   \\\  ///
SUSE Labs, Research and Development \honk/