[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] kernel core dump and "dying breath"

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Jun 27 13:17:24 UTC 2012

On 06/27/2012 02:52 AM, Cong Wang wrote:

>> I even sometimes find myself trying to scroll back, even though I know it
>> doesn't work. So it definitely is something that one is subconsciously
>> expecting to work.
>>

> +1
>
> /me has the same experience.

OK, so but the root here is that with USB keyboards and $DEITY knows
what else this is a lot harder than it seems; either we have to keep a
major chunk of the I/O system alive or have a separate stack for panic
only.  In the latter case I would genuinely claim that the first thing
to do shouldn't be the keyboard (for scrollback) but a way to insert a
USB key for dump.

	-hpa