[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] kernel core dump and "dying breath"

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Fri Jun 22 19:39:25 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 02:34:38PM -0500, Jason Wessel wrote:

> On the QR Code front, I am curious what the interface to this is?
> Atomic KMS and what about goofy cards like Nvidia where you don't
> always get KMS?

KMS already has atomic modeswitch support for showing panics. We'd just
need to ensure that there's an unaccelerated path for dumping contents
directly to the framebuffer. If you don't have KMS then you don't get to
play with modern useful functionality.

> Certainly I have had developers run kdb to dump a thread list and
> other information in similar sorts of hard to debug scenarios where
> there was no kdump, and send me jpegs.  Is the interface somewhat
> generic and atomic?  It would be nice to be able to dump a pile of
> data that you care about and snap a picture and have it show up on my
> desktop or customer site -> support etc...

I was only considering using it for panics - I guess you want to be able
to expose more specific data as well as the backtrace?

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org