[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] NVIDIA education, and embedded architectures

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Thu Jun 21 16:45:30 UTC 2012

On 06/19/2012 08:39 PM, Ted Ts'o wrote:
> Speaking very selfishly as a kernel developer if I want to run the
> nvidia closed source driver on a bleeding edge kernel, it's simply
> painful.   There are a number of reasons for this:
>
> 1) The packaging scheme for the nivida driver presupposes that you are
> going to be using the distro packaging system, and that you want to
> install the kernel, and the headers in a magic place, and then try to
> get dkms working.  This is rather slow and painful, and hard to debug
> when you discover random things such as the fact that the nvidia
> driver build system blows up mysteriously if you have ccache enabled
> (so you better disable when you're building the closed source module).

Ted,

I've filed an internal bug for the ccache issue specifically. Lets see
if we can fix that for you.

On the other issues you raised, I'll have someone on our GeForce driver
team contact you to follow up off-list to avoid polluting this forum
with support for binary modules.

Thanks for taking the time to point out some detailed pain points.