[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] tracing report & API discussion, wireless

Johannes Berg johannes at sipsolutions.net
Wed Jun 20 07:26:47 UTC 2012

This may overlap a bit with Jason Wessel's suggestions, but it seems he
focused more on the actual kernel debugger parts.

I'd like to report on how we (in Intel Wireless) use event tracing,
since this seems to be quite different to how many other people use
tracing (perf, function tracing, etc. aren't all that interesting to
us.)

Also in this area I'd like to restart discussions about giving tracing a
"stable" API. Some customers very much dislike the debugfs requirement
and it has always made it feel less reliable/future-proof to me.
Unfortunately, I don't have any proposals for APIs right now.

I'm one of the people John Linville mentioned who took on additional
maintainer duties recently, and I'm also (always) happy to report on
what's going on with the wireless stack. I guess I also get to take the
blame for the recent iwlwifi issues...

johannes