[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] offloading maintainers, managing churn, etc

John W. Linville linville at tuxdriver.com
Mon Jun 18 20:33:16 UTC 2012

Howdy,

The 'wireless' bits of the kernel keep me busy, even more so now
that bluetooth and NFC code is coming through my trees along with the
802.11 stuff.  Fortunately, I've been reasonably successful at getting
sub-maintainers to volunteer for much of the patch monkey work.  This,
of course, means that I have to spend more time on interfacing with
sub-maintainers than I did in the past...

My biggest interest in Kernel Summit is for the maintainer-related
discussions.  I'll probably be affected by process changes, and I'll
have to communicate and enforce those changes downstream.  I would
like to be in the room when those decisions are made.  Similarly,
I want to be there to represent my downstream's interests in any
technical discussions that cut across multiple subsystems.  Obviously,
that would all feed into an interest in any general discussion of
'maintainership', including the roles of a maintainer, how we
communicate with each other, etc.

I think James suggested a topic about 'work creation schemes', which
I take to mean something about avoiding development churn.  I would
be interested in such a discussion as well.  Any unnecessary churn
in the code not only creates confusion for normal developers but it
can also lead to more pain for us patch monkeys...

Finally, as a current member of the TAB I like to think of myself
as a respresentative of the kernel development community.  I hope
to be reelected to the TAB this year, and therefore I want to be
well prepared to be that community representative.  Being at Kernel
Summit aids that not only as a social networking outlet but also
by providing exposure to a broad slice of issues of interest to the
kernel development community.

So anyway...I hope to see you there! :-)

John