[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] stable kernel stuff and grumpy maintainers

Andrew Morton akpm at linux-foundation.org
Mon Jun 18 18:08:06 UTC 2012

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 10:21:39 -0700 Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 01:15:53PM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 10:12:24AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Despite being on the Program Committee, I figured it was only fair that
> > > I too submit my name as someone who would like to attend the Kernel
> > > Summit this year.
> > >
> > > I'd like to discuss:
> > >   - The stable and longterm kernel release process, is it going well for
> > >     everyone?  Are there things we can do differently?  How can I kick
> > >     maintainers who don't mark patches for stable backports in ways that
> > >     do not harm them too much?  How can I convey decisions about the
> > >     longterm kernel selection process in a better way so that it isn't
> > >     surprising to people?

I think it's a good topic.  It's a pretty important one, isn't it?
This is the tree which most everyone in the real world bases kernels
on?

It would be useful to get input from -stable's "customers".  Mainly
distros I guess.  I assume you're already doing that.

> The toughest part for me right now is finding all the patches to apply,
> (i.e. digging through distro kernel trees) and dealing with random
> emails from people who don't read Documentation/stable_kernel_rules.txt.

Bah.  If you're having to go digging in distro trees then distro people
need a vigorous wedgie.  Who do they think we're doing this for?