[Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND] stable kernel stuff and grumpy maintainers

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Mon Jun 18 17:21:39 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 01:15:53PM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 10:12:24AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Despite being on the Program Committee, I figured it was only fair that
> > I too submit my name as someone who would like to attend the Kernel
> > Summit this year.
> >
> > I'd like to discuss:
> >   - The stable and longterm kernel release process, is it going well for
> >     everyone?  Are there things we can do differently?  How can I kick
> >     maintainers who don't mark patches for stable backports in ways that
> >     do not harm them too much?  How can I convey decisions about the
> >     longterm kernel selection process in a better way so that it isn't
> >     surprising to people?
>
> I'd like to discuss this as well.  I think overall the stable trees are
> going fairly smoothly, but there might be room for improvement.  Perhaps
> even resulting in a bit less burden on you.

Hey, I'm all for less burden, but honestly, the stable releases aren't
all that tough for me, it's a semi-automated process now, almost
entirely scripted, with the exception of the patch review process, which
needs to not be automated.  I can give a demo of how it all works if
people are interested.

The toughest part for me right now is finding all the patches to apply,
(i.e. digging through distro kernel trees) and dealing with random
emails from people who don't read Documentation/stable_kernel_rules.txt.

greg k-h