[Ksummit-2012-discuss] Topic proposal: Finding and eliminating kernel work creation schemes

Sat Jun 16 11:47:54 UTC 2012

I'm sure everyone has a different idea of what is and isn't work
creation within the kernel; for instance some see value in pr_...
replacement for printk(KERN_...).  However if we discuss our pet peeves
in this department, perhaps we can find some of the ones that everyone
agrees serve no useful purpose.  I'll start with mine:

Although __init and __exit are fine and reasonably well contained, the
massive proliferation of __dev... _mem... __cpu... and their ilk are
getting out of control.  Plus, the amount of memory they save is tiny (a
few pages at best) and finally virtually no-one compiles without
CONFIG_HOTPLUG, so they're mostly nops anyway.  However, for that very
case, we've evolved a massive set of tools to beat ourselves up whenever
we violate the rules of using these tags.  What I'd like to explore is
firstly, can we just eliminate CONFIG_HOTPLUG and make it always y (this
will clear up the problem nicely) or, failing that, can we just dump the
tags and the tools and stop causing work for something no-one cares
about.

James