[Accessibility-ia2] aria-current thread on ia2

Alexander Surkov surkov.alexander at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 20:20:22 UTC 2015

On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 9:36 AM, Joseph Scheuhammer <clown at alum.mit.edu>
wrote:

> Hi Jamie,
>
> Thanks for making that clearer.  Comments inline.
>
> On 2015-12-01 7:42 PM, James Teh wrote:
>
>> The active state in the IA2 spec says:
>>
>>  This state can be used to indicate the current active item in a
>>> container, even
>>>   if the container itself is not currently active. In other words this
>>> would indicate
>>>   the item that will get focus if you tab to the container.
>>>

>> So, it basically maps to aria-activedescendant.
>>

> Put another way, the item has focus when the container is active. That's
> not what aria-current means.  The current item may or may not have focus,
> and can remain current even when another item in the container has focus.
> IA2's active state has a different meaning than ATK's, apparently.

Right, that's unfortunate but ATK and IA2 differ. If I remember Joanie's
words then ATK state has been introduced a while ago and used somewhere in
GTK. Same is more or less valid for IA2. As Jamie said IA2 can be changed
but we need to make sure nobody depends on the implementation.

On the other hand it's probably ok to not sync ATK and IA2 for this
particular case. IA2 has a way for a fast way to obtain object attributes,
so perfromance is not an issue for IA2 unlike ATK, thus IA2 doesn't
necessary need a state in addition to the object attribute.

> One question:  the quote above says the item has the active state when
> it's container is non-active.  Then when the container becomes active, the
> item then has a focused state.  Does it keep the active state after it has
> gained focus?  I know, the question is likely irrelevant to the current
> discussion, but I am curious about details.

Correct, iirc active state is exposed in Firefox not depending on the focus.